Monday, December 12, 2011

Barrio Tequila Bar: St. Paul and Minneapolis

Barrio Tequila Bar: St. Paul Location
235 6th Street E.
St. Paul, MN 55101


How Did I Find This Place? 
Was meeting with a photographer down the street (that ended up being overpriced as it related to their travel charges) and decided to make the trip worth it and stop by a place that I had been hearing about for the couple of years, Barrio.
Cool paintings and what I would call a "hip" atmosphere
What Makes This Place Unique?  
Owned by Twin City restaurant veterans, Barrio opened it's doors in 2008 on Nicollet Mall.  In addition to their monstrous tequila list, they also offered Latin street inspired dishes...that many people enjoyed; they became a huge hit.  A year later they opened a location in Lowertown in St. Paul and in 2010 they also added a set of wheels and jumped onboard to become part of the food truck craze sweeping the nation.  In short, they're taking the Cities by St. Paul, Minneapolis and anywhere in between!


What's On The Menu?
Mexican street food at it's finest.  Small plates include: grilled corn with chipotle creme, queso cotija and epazote, red snapper ceviche, potato sops, crab empanadas, chicken quesadillas, and made to order guacamole to name a few.  Then there are the tacos and enchiladas: pork carnets, skirt steak tacos, amish chicken tacos, beef barbacoa tacos, spiced shrimp tacos and fried mahi tacos.  There are not many larger plates but they do have: Oasaca style baby back ribs, seared tuna, sautéed shrimp, and grilled skirt steak.


My Meal
After my ceviche cooking class in Mexico I couldn't pass up the red snapper ceviche since it's rarely seen on menus here in Minn-e-so-da.
Barrio's Red Snapper Cevhice: $9.50
As many of you know from previous posts my favorite food is slow cooked pork.  It's something that is just so wonderful and that is rarely screwed up; I love ordering it whenever I see it on a menu.
Barrio's Pork Carnitas Taco with Salas Verde: $4.00
My Thoughts
Loved the atmosphere and would be a great date or night out with friends location since there is a little bit of everything as it relates to Latin foods (unless they hates Mexican food and honestly who doesn't like Mexican food?).  


I also thought that the food was exemplary.  The ceviche was top notch (and I'm a tough critic of this) and the pork carnita tacos were moist, flavorful adn still had some crunch on the outside.  The tortillas were also very tasty, warm and noteworthy. 


Would I Go Again?
Yes, with no hesitations I would go again.  Great atmosphere, great food and while I didn't have any cocktails since it was a Monday night, I found the prices reasonable and felt that even if you were skimping you could make a meal work for you.  

Barrio Tequila Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment